Sunday, March 01, 2015

Nursing in the Night...

"...a little child, born yesterday,
A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed..."
-"Hymn to Mercury," translated from ancient Greek by Percy Bysshe Shelley

The light from my phone shines through your ugly duckling hair, recording the minutes and tracking the data.
Your daddy dozes nearby, waiting to carry you back to your crib.
Your little body wraps around mine, staying warm and close.
My forearm cradles your head, holding you to my breast.
My right hand grasps your little fingers, keeping them out of the way.
My left hand rests on your back, gently rocking you back and forth to remind you what you're doing.
My thumb rubs your shoulder, and my fingers tickle your chin, waking you from your doze.
Your lips suckle to my breast, nourishing your little body.
My other breast aches and leaks, waiting its turn.
A cloth rests on my shoulder, waiting for your burps.
Even in the dark, our eyes lock onto each other's, until yours drift closed once again.
Our hearts connect in this moment, wishing you would stay little like this forever, yet wondering who you will grow up to be.

1 comment:

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...